I’ve tried. I hate it. It is too much work. It takes time and my ADHD kicks in pretty quickly, causing me to lose interest. I don’t think of it as pampering and it is so time-consuming. I wish I felt differently but it will never happen on a consistent basis.
Some of the ways I am not a girly girl:
- I hate to take a shower. Yes, I DO take showers and I kind of like baths when I have the time, bubbles, and a glass of wine but if I could be clean and smell good without getting in the water, my bathtub would be storage for shoes.
- People give me lotions and powders and shower gels and bubble bath and other bath products as gifts. I almost never use them and either give them to someone or throw them away when I get on a cleaning spree. It’s sadly a waste of money.
- If I never had to shave my legs again, I would be a happy girl. I like the way my legs look when they are shaved but just hate to take the time to shave them. One of the few benefits of aging is that the hair on your legs gets lighter and softer. Unfortunately, I am a hairy girl. During my teens and twenties, if I didn’t shave daily, my legs looked like Robin William’s arms so this aging thing is making me very happy.
- Painting of the nails and toes should be left to salons. For over 20 years I have had acrylic nails and during the summer, I get a pedicure every 2 – 3 weeks. Recently, in order to save money, I stopped getting my nails done and decided to attempt to do my own pedicures. What a mistake! Jagged cuticles, messy polish, uneven filing. How does one get into the right contortionist position to paint one’s own toenails? And what about those scaly heels? This might be the disaster I think it will be.
- Let’s talk about makeup. I am old enough that I cannot go without it. Gotta cover up those blotchy red spots and chin hairs. Watch out for the wrinkles, they tend to catch the lotion and foundation and sweat in them and it ends up looking like a topical map of the Grand Canyon. And I hate to take off makeup at night. Call me lazy. When I do take off makeup, either at night or before putting on more makeup, I use those makeup remover towelettes – quick, efficient and disposable.