Sunday, March 6, 2011

What’s In A Name?

name-tagAn interesting phenomenon has occurred in my family.  It started when my siblings and I started getting married.  It has continued through the years and now, with my Dad’s new marriage, it continues.  We have so many of the same names throughout our family.  Let me try to explain without too much confusion.

My middle sister’s real name is Michelle but we have always called her Mickey.  My husband’s brother is married to a Michelle whose mother’s name is Mickey and whose dad’s name is Terry.  My new stepsister’s name is Michelle and my new stepbrother’s name is Mickey.  Growing up, my sister was always Girl Mickey and by new stepbrother was always Boy Mickey.  Now that our parents are married, they are once again Boy Mickey and Girl Mickey even though both are in their mid-forties.

My husband’s brother’s name is Greg (married to Michelle above) and my sister Mickey is married to her husband Greg.

My brother’s first wife was Terri and his second wife was Casey which is my daughter’s name.

My youngest sister is married to Josh and our cousin’s name is also Josh.

So now, my daughter is dating a guy named Austin which just happens to be my brother’s oldest son’s name.  I have already joked that he MUST be “the one” because he has the same name as someone else in our family. Smile
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Joy Page Manuel said...

Wow, that totally confused me, hahaha! That's amazing though and must be fun for the family...I think ;-)

Tere said...

I know Joy - so confusing. We use a lot of last names while talking about relatives. But it is kind of funny too.

Niecy said...

How do you keep track of all that? It is interesting, however. Thanks for sharing.

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

That is insane! Seriously, what are the chances you would have such an incestuous family name thing going on?? ;)

Tere said...

Niecy - We use a lot of last names and nicknames :)

Amy - Ha, Ha, I never though of it as incestuous but that's what I'm gonna call it from now on!