Sunday, November 21, 2010

That Was Then, This Is Now

Tere 002
I know I’ve been absent lately but my mind has still been going, questioning, thinking, and mostly resolving things before I take the time to write them down here.  I’ve missed my blog.

I have spent some time thinking about the beginning of this blog and how different things have become in the last 3 years.  In October of 2007 I began this endeavor because I loved to write.  I had no aspirations of writing for a living nor did I think I was particularly good at it.  I was told people enjoyed my writing but that was once a year when I sent out a holiday newsletter and shared little tidbits about our lives throughout the year.  This would be different.  This would have people “all up in my business”.

At the time, I made a decision that I would not write about work.  That would just be stupid.  I would also not give details of my children’s lives that might embarrass them at some point.  I only wrote things they would be ok with reading or that their children might read about them later.  I also decided that I would only share personal feelings and thoughts about others that I was okay with them reading.  Beyond that, everything else was on the table and open for discussion.

I wanted to tell funny stories.  I wanted to be thoughtful.   I wanted to inspire.

As I read through some of my early posts, they seemed a little superficial.  I held back a lot, trying to find my way, attempting to achieve balance.  I’m not sure I am that different now but it is getting better.  My goal was never to gain thousands of followers or to have comments in the hundreds and neither of those things happened.  I have a small loyal group of folks who graciously take some time to read my thoughts.  I have met other bloggers across the country that I now think of as friends although we have never met.

It’s interesting . . . the people that I thought would be the most supportive are the ones that visit the least.  I don’t think my father has visited my blog three times in three years and only one of my siblings reads regularly. 

When I first started sharing my life here, I had to hold back from writing every day.  I didn’t want to burn out – myself or anyone who might be reading.  And I didn’t want to be posting something just to fill the space.  I eventually fell into a rhythm of about 3 posts per week.  Over the last year I have slacked off a little and am only posting about every 10 days.  I miss it.

So I am trying to figure out what I want to say again.  Maybe my rules have changed, maybe not.  But my plan is to post at least once each week, more if I run into something funny or interesting.  I hope you continue to join me here, that you share feedback and opinions, and that you enjoy it enough to keep coming back.  Even through the slow times.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comments:

Mickey said...

I read them!!!!! I just have to catch up - I usually have to read around 3 at a time to catch up to your latest one. Don't stop!