Sunday, September 19, 2010

Changing Light

signs of fall_2 There have been few signs of Fall arriving but they are starting to come in the form of small, subtle hints
.
The changing light, that amazing golden glow that betrays the heat that still lingers.  The brightness is still there but there is a softness to it now, the kind of softness that makes you look out the window and think it’s chilly outside, makes you want to eat chili.  But once you venture out, the 90 degree temperature tells you otherwise.  How disappointing.

The mornings have taken on a slight chill in the air.  It feels refreshing.  It gives you hope that there is a season change coming, some relief from need to run air conditioners and fans at the same time.

And this morning, the first tiny acorn greeted me at my doorstep as I let the dogs outside for their morning tour around the front yard.  It was small and alone, having been the first to leave the safety of the oak tree just to the right of my front door.  There will be more.  Many more.  Soon I will be cursing the acorns as they ping off my roof and my front steps.  But this morning, I was glad to see it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Laura B said...

Tere, I've been thinking the same thing. I love autumn; it's my favorite time of the year, and I await its advent with eager anticipation after the heat and activity and sensory overload of summer. So when I begin to notice the little signs, my heart gives a little leap of joy! The other day on the playground, a cool almost-autumny breeze was blowing, and I just stood there with a stupid grin on my face. The first day I have to wear a sweater when I leave the house will make me giddy. And when the leaves begin to change color, I'll spend my lunch break just looking at the trees and sighing at their beauty. I miss the days when school started the day after Labor Day -- it seems as though the weather begins to get cooler on that day, as if nature intended there to be a change in schedule at that particular space in time. As it is now, it feels unnatural to see a school bus drive by when the heat and humidity of summer is still in full assault.

postzoom said...

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please visit http://postzoom.com/register.aspx (yes, it’s completely free).

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom