Thursday, July 1, 2010

What Would You Do?

TwentyDollarBill
I was listening to a talk show on my Sirius XM radio today.  There was a discussion taking place regarding the following scenario:

If you were purchasing something in a store, the cashier handed you the change and there was $20 too much, what would you do?

Without hesitation, I thought to myself, “I would give it back”.


People were calling in and giving their thoughts and I was amazed at some of the rationalization people had for keeping the money.  I shouldn’t be amazed that people rationalize their actions but they honestly don’t see anything wrong with keeping the money.  Nothing at all.  Yes, I’m judging them.

One guy said it depended on what type of store he was in.  He said if he was in a small bodega that was just scraping by, he would return the money.  But if he was in a higher end store or a corporate chain, he would keep it, they don’t need it.  Dude also said it depended on the cashier.  If the cashier was nice and friendly, he would probably return the $20 but if the cashier was grumpy or indifferent, he would keep it. Wow.

Someone also said it depended on their financial situation at the time.  If they needed it, they would keep it.

What part of “It’s not yours!” do people not understand?  Don’t get me wrong, I am not naive.  I would think about my needs and the greedy part of me would want to keep it.  But what you think about is not nearly as important as what you do.  And I am a strong believer in Karma.  I have a clear idea of right and wrong.
 
Years ago, I was given $10 too much when I cashed my check at the drive-through at a bank.  I had been waiting in line for about 15 minutes and as I drove away, I realized I had been given too much money.  I thought about driving away . . . it was only $10 and the line was really long and I could really use that $10.  But, because my mom had worked for a short time as a bank teller when I was younger, I knew that the teller could possibly lose her job.  And returning the money was the right thing to do.  So I got back in the long line with the same teller and gave her the $10 back.  She was very surprised but grateful.  I felt both stupid and proud.  But later that day, I was shopping for maternity clothes.  I found a top and decided to buy it.  When I got to the cashier, she said “Oh, this one isn’t marked on sale but it is $10 off”.  Hmmmmmmmmmm, sorta got my $10 anyway.

So now that I have totally judged those people that honestly said they would keep it, what would you do?

Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Wanda said...

Tere, like you, I might have thoughts, but I would do the right thing and have many times.

Loved your story...Yes, You got your $10.

sarahbb said...

I would absolutely give the money back. And I secretly and totally judge, too.

Christi said...

I'm with you... :)

Ruth D~ said...

When it's happened to me, I've instinctively given it back without thinking.

Still temptation can be strong if you do stop to think.

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..http://forlots.blogspot.com/

Joy Page Manuel said...

I'd return it...no question. Like you, I hate judging, but sometimes, the difference between right and wrong cannot be blurred. It's not a question of whether the capitalists need that money or not. It's about the other person possibly getting in trouble and more importantly, my personal accountability, my peace of mind.