Sunday, May 23, 2010

Out Of The Box And Out On The Town

Me on the townHave you ever seen so much eyeliner on one person?  Go ahead and say it, I admit I went a little overboard on the “smoky eye” look.  But it was all done in an effort to get out of that “mommy box” and into a new way of having fun.

I have been going out with friends more now that my children are grown and basically on their own.  I have so much freedom now and I have no intention of sitting at home and waiting for someone to invite me to join them and to rescue me from boredom.  I’ve been there, done that.  I have to rescue myself or just put myself out there.  I am not a “bar” kind of girl and I can never see myself hanging out in a club but an occasional night with a group of friends in a club sounds like fun as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.  I’m a little old for that.

Through my dance classes, I have met some amazing women.  They do things.  There  is no competition.  There is a LOT of support.  We are very different people but we enjoy so many of the same things and we motivate each other.  They have motivated me to get the heck out and do stuff.  Stuff I would not normally do.  And I’m having so much fun.

On Friday night, our friend Kisa was performing as a part of her burlesque troupe Salome Cabaret.  She is one of the founding members and has been recently selected as a performer at The Burlesque Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, one of only 12 people in the country to be selected.  It’s kind of like the Miss America of burlesque from what I’ve been told.  Kisa and her troupe have been teaching classes and Friday night was the class graduation.  She invited us and we happily accepted, excited about this new experience.  I had been to one show before but the other girls had not ever attended a burlesque show.

We are girls who like to dress up.  I don’t actually own any “dress up” clothes.  I mostly buy clothes for work or play and since I have lost weight, I had nothing.  So Friday afternoon, I went trolling the mall for something sparkly but casual.  And I just happened to pass by a really cute pair of quasi-gladiator sandals with a great heel height that would work for a night out or for work.  With a sparkly casual shirt and those cute heels in my bag, I headed for home to get ready.  

Have you ever had one of those days when everything just worked?  I touched up my makeup . . . okay, the smoky eye thing was a little more than a touch up.  I threw on a dangly pair of earrings.  Since I have been growing out my hair, some days it works and some days it just hangs there.  I didn’t have a lot of time so I just plugged in the curling iron and hoped for the best.  I threw a couple of curls in the top layers, shook my hair forward and flipped it back.  Oh my goodness . . . I think I might have looked a little bit hot!!!

There is something about feeling good inside that allows you to put off a little bit of a glow.  I felt good and I think I was pretty much glowing when I went out the door.  And I felt that way all night.  It really was not an ego thing.  At all.  It was more of a confidence thing.  And it felt good.

The show was amazing – much better than the first show I had been to.  The crowd was great.  We had a great time together.  As we were sitting through intermission, one of my friends was asking about my son whose birthday party was the next night at a local club.  She asked how old my son was and I replied that he is 24.  She said “You are too hot to have a 24 year old” and I laughed.  The man that was sitting next to me said “I’m glad you said that ‘cause I was was going to say it”.  I said thank you and laughed again.  It was just a teensy bit creepy but it was nice to hear anyway.  I think it was the glow.

Today I am back to a normal amount of eyeliner and wearing my shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops.  There is something to be said for normal life too.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comments:

Ruth D~ said...

Nice to feel confident, and that attitude draws others to you. You look great, btw!!