Sunday, January 17, 2010

The More That You Read . . .

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

~Dr. Seuss

Reading Reading has always been a love of mine. Not in the way it is for many people. I see those who carry around 3 and 4 books at a time, who devour every new, hot novel as well as classic literature, who curl up on quiet, cold Saturdays with a good book, who find sanctuary in libraries and bookstores, who can converse on the details and differences of Hawthorne, Austen, and Dickens. None of that is me.

I do read all the time. My mother read to me from the time I was an infant. I started reading when I was 4 and by the age of 5, I couldn’t wait until our next trip to the library. When I ate breakfast, I read the cereal boxes, then newspapers. Later, I enjoyed novels occasionally but my attention span didn’t allow for it very often. I’m still that way. But I did, and still do, enjoy novels and non-fiction. Over the years I switched over to magazines and the internet (blogs, social websites, news sites) for my reading. When I am sitting in front of the TV, I am also reading something – either in a magazine or on the computer. I read every night when I get into bed, falling asleep as the book lies open where it fell from my hand as I drifted off.

When I purchased my Kindle, I was not sure I would like it but what I found was that, not only do I love it, but I read more. I have actually let my subscriptions to several magazines lapse and I am reading more books than I have in many years. I can carry my Kindle with me in my purse and pull it out while waiting anywhere.

What have I enjoyed reading lately?

“Such A Pretty Fat” – by Jen Lancaster. Also Jen’s books “Pretty In Plaid” and “Bitter is the New Black”. Jen is hilarious. “Such A Pretty Fat” is about Jen’s weight loss journey and she tells it with honesty and a great deal of humor. I also love her blog Jennsylvania.

The Lost Symbol” – by Dan Brown. I have also read “The DaVinci Code” and “Angels and Demons”. I love the intrigue and suspense.

Half–Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir” – by Jennette Fulda. Jennette is also very funny and honest about her struggles with losing almost 200 pounds. She also has a great blog, PastaQueen.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible” – by AJ Jacobs. He also wrote The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World” and “The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment”. I haven’t started these yet but have heard Mr. Jacobs interviewed a couple of times and can’t wait to start reading them. Here is the description of “The Year of Living Biblically” from his website: The Year of Living Biblically answers the question: What if a modern-day American followed every single rule in the Bible as literally as possible. Not just the famous rules – the Ten Commandments and Love Thy Neighbor (though certainly those). But the hundreds of oft-ignored ones: don’t wear clothes of mixed fibers. Grow your beard. Stone adulterers. A.J. Jacobs’ experiment is surprising, informative, timely and funny. It is both irreverent and reverent. It seeks to discover what’s good in the Bible and what is maybe not so relevant to 21st century life. And it will make you see the Good Book with new eyes.

As you can tell, I lean towards humor. I like to spend my time around people who have a sense of humor about life so I guess it’s natural that I would like authors that do the same.

So . . . are you a reader? What books have you read lately? What do you recommend?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Twain12 said...

right now I'm reading Stories by Canadian Women and i use to devour Books and Magazines but i have to admit that since i own a computer i seem to be reading more online. I think the books that made me laugh the most where Erma Bombeck books. I like humorous books to :)

Dexter's Girl said...

Oh Books! I love books, but with the ages of my kiddos, most of my "recent" list is umm.. the Sesame Street/Big Tractor-type. Other than that, I've read Home Buying for Dummies (not such fun reading), The Sand County Almanac, a Dave Ramsey book, Missing May, Savvy, Doctrine & Covenants, Mundo 21, Gardening in Iowa, Ramona Quimby books, Little House... I'd like to read some good historical fiction this year. Do you use goodreads? Would love to know what's on your list!!!

Wanda said...

I love to read too. Many of the books I read relate to Bible Studies I'm involved with. Just completed a 4 book, 6 month study called Master Life... On living out the Spiritual Disciplines.

For fun, I read the series "No #1 Ladies Detective Agency" Heard that it was made into a move for HBO but didn't see it.

My grandson reads everything in sight, cereal boxes, advertisments, bill boards...!

Like you list of reading...

Ruth D~ said...

Interesting books... you should get a commission for sales. I also like the blog links.