Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Journey Continues

scaleI have stepped up my efforts at weight loss and, as a result, have a whole lot less time to blog. I am still trying to figure out how to balance everything I need to do with things I love to do. I guess it will all work itself out in the end but, in the meantime, be patient with me. And here is an update on the weight loss progress and some new things that are helping.

Dancing – I am taking 3 classes at the Broadway Academy of Performing Arts, a new studio that opened recently in downtown Knoxville. As I have said before, I have to have fun when I exercise or I won’t do it. I have always loved dance from the time I was very young so this is right up my alley. And I have found that the classes are a very good workout and I am burning between 300 and 600 calories per class.

On Sunday nights I take a Hoop Dancing Class. Remember Hula Hoops? Well, this is not your mother’s hula hoop. The hoop is larger and slightly weighted. And dance moves are incorporated so it’s not really just standing there, circling your hips. There’s arm hooping and twirling and tricks. I am still very much a beginner but I love doing it and it’s getting me out and moving.

On Monday nights I take Sizemology Dance. It combines jazz and hip-hop and, although it’s designed for larger women, it really is for women of all sizes and ages that want to learn to dance but might be embarrassed to go to a “normal” dance class. It involves choreography and we learn a new routine every week.

On Wednesday nights . . . Zumba. Many of you have heard of Zumba which is sweeping quickly across the country. It combines Latin dance with aerobics and it is very fast paced and very challenging. My daughter and my friend Robin have been going with me which makes it a fun girl’s night out and they also keep me motivated.

Eating more local fresh produce and being more aware of where my food originated – This is a big change for me. I am all about convenience and getting in and out of the grocery store quickly. I am taking the time to cook really healthy low calorie food, to read labels, to count the calories and make sure they are healthy calories. And even though it means more trips and most of the time it is out of my way, I am buying fresh ingredients from local markets and stores and paying attention to how the meat and poultry was raised and processed.

The Bodybugg – The bodybugg is a high tech calorie tracker as well as an entire fitness and weight loss program. You have probably seen the contestants on “The Biggest Loser” wearing bodybuggs on the show. You wear the armband all day and night and it captures every step you take, every calorie you burn, the duration of activity, etc. It is very accurate and kinda fascinating. You can check it on a display throughout the day but you hook it up to the computer and it uploads the data to an online program where you can do all sorts of things. You can also track what you eat and do all sorts of analysis on your day. I am using it to ensure that I am burning the correct number of calories over what I take in so that my weight loss is consistent. And to get an accurate count of the calories I burn at my classes and any other extra exercise I do.

All this is adding up to progress. From Thanksgiving to January 4th, I did not “diet” even though I was careful. I gained back several pounds but I jumped right back in after the holidays and have lost those pounds and more in the last month. I feel amazing and my doctor has eliminated one of the two hypertension medications I take. She retested my thyroid and it is normal now. I have had only a few “hot flash” episodes where previously I was having them daily. My clothes are getting loose again which makes me happy. I am down 4 sizes in my jeans. I feel really good. And the total lost is 43 pounds. I am trying not to obsess about the scale in an effort to hit the 50 pound mark but it is so close I can taste it! I’ll keep you updated!!!

4 comments:

Dexter's Girl said...

Keep up the AWESOME work! YAY for you! I really appreciate you blogging about this. It helps in my own efforts!

Ruth D~ said...

Keep it up... focus.

BTW, I'm loving Zumba. We have a Latina instructor and she is beyond good. A fast paced dance class and a lot of fun.

Andie, aka Andemonium said...

I'm sooooooooo proud of you, sister!

Pennsylvania slip and fall lawyer said...

Thank you for all the great posts from last year! I look forward to reading your blog, because they are always full of information that I can put to use. Thank you again, and God bless you in 2010.