Sunday, September 13, 2009

One Short Day

From the song, One Short Day from Wicked, The Musicalwicked-the-musical

Elphaba and Glinda:

Where so many roam to
We'll call it home too
And then just like now we can say,
Were just two friends
Two good friends
Two best friends
Sharing one wonderful,
one short...
...day!

Have you seen “Wicked”? If you get the opportunity, go. If you have no idea what I’m talking about . . . “Wicked” is a play . . . a musical to be exact . . . about the Wicked Witch of the West (her name is Elphaba) and Glinda the Good Witch from “The Wizard of Oz”. But it’s the story of what happened before Dorothy and Toto came into the picture. Very funny and the songs are amazing.

My son and I love musical theater. My daughter, not so much. I heard “Wicked” was coming to Nashville and as soon as I could, I went online to purchase tickets. We have wanted to see this for a long time. Nashville is a 3 hour drive so we debated driving back after the show but the earliest that would get us home would be 3am. I just wasn’t up for that so on Friday afternoon I got a reservation at a hotel in downtown Nashville so we could walk to everything. We would leave Saturday around noon.

My son and I don’t get to spend much time together now. Our schedules overlap – he goes to work at 3pm and works till 11pm. Then he usually goes out with friends and comes home very late (or early as the case may be), falls into bed and sleeps until about 11am the next day. My schedule is more “normal”. I usually hear him come in at night after work and he tells me goodnight. That’s about it except for a little time on the weekends.

So this was going to be fun. Just me and him for a change.

When we arrived and checked in, I remembered that one of my favorite Nashville restaurants, Mambu, was close by. Mambu is an eclectic little restaurant with amazing food and a great atmosphere. It’s not as well known as other places but it should be. So we headed over for dinner and had a great time eating great food before taking a taxi to TPAC for the performance.

At intermission, I headed for the restroom and stood waiting for an elevator. Out of the elevator stepped my old friend Tammy and her husband, whom I had never met. We have been friends for about 15 years while she lived in St. Louis and Atlanta but I have not seen her since she moved to Nashville. We chatted for a second and then she said “Well, we will see you in there. We are in row L”. I said “We are in row L too”. She said “We are in seats 30 and 31.” I said “Don’t tell me we are sitting next to each other! We are in 32 and 33!” I was sitting next to her husband for the whole first act and had no idea! So we enjoyed the rest of the show together.

Have you ever been to one of my favorite places, The Loveless Cafe outside Nashville? If you aren’t aware of The Loveless, you are missing out. It used to be a small motel along the Natchez Trace. The cafe became famous for their southern cooking and their homemade biscuits. It has attracted many famous folks whose pictures hang on the walls. It has changed ownership several times, the motel has been converted into small shops and the cafe has been expanded but the recipes for the food (and the amazing biscuits) have been passed down so the tradition continues. So guess where we went for breakfast? It was just yummy and so much more food than either of could eat. But we tried. The biscuits are melt in your mouth with real butter and homemade peach, blackberry, and strawberry jam. It all reminded me so much of being at my grandmother’s kitchen table.

None of this was planned. Well, except for “Wicked”. And we had One Short Day of fun and being friends. It was the best!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

That is a really amazing story. How very cool that you ran into your friend and sat right next to her. That is total synchronicity. Very awesome. I love it. I also love Nashville. It is one of my very favorite cities. Southern cooking is the best. I've never heard of the two restaurants that you mentioned, but I will definitely check out the links.

It sounds like you had a great weekend with your son. Great post!