Sunday, September 27, 2009

Full of Hot Air

balloons_5For the last 6 years, Pellissippi State, a local community college and now the college my daughter attends, has held a Hot Air Balloon Festival. I have never been. I wasn’t really sure it was something I would find interesting. I wondered what it involved but never more thought more than that.

Last Friday, the festival kicked off and my daughter called to see if I wanted to go with her friend Sara and Sara’s parents. Why not? We went and I had no idea. There was a great band playing, an area with activities for children, a rock climbing wall, tons of stuff to see, interesting food (had to have a funnel cake) and then . . . after dark there was the Balloon Glow.balloons_7

I knew they lit up the balloons, I had seen pictures. But I had no idea they did it to music and it went on for about 20 minutes. It was quite a beautiful and amazing sight.

They had one section where the balloon in the center from Pellissippi State began to rise and below it was a waving flag. Patriotic songs played and the balloons lit and faded in time to the music. I don’t usually enjoy the cheesiness factor of those kinds of things but it really brought tears to my eyes.

I am so glad we went and very glad we decided to go on Friday night as everything on Saturday was cancelled due to the torrential downpour we had all day. And I will be back next year. You should join us.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

This sounds interesting and your photos are gorgeous. I love it.