Saturday, August 29, 2009

Seeing Progress

I was not ready. I didn’t want to be let down which would result in frustration. I wanted noticeable results. But my curiosity got the best of me. green2

On Friday, I put on an outfit that I had worn last month. The pants were brown legging type of pants, knit and slightly fitted. When I put them on that morning, they were baggy. Not like falling off or anything but noticeably baggy. But I was not getting on the scales. I went on to work and decided that I would weigh soon but not yet.

At lunch I had to run pick up something at my house. I went up to use the bathroom and there it was . . . the scale . . . staring at me. Did I dare? What if it was only a few pounds. It’s been 4 weeks and if it was only a few pounds, I know I would get frustrated. But it had to be more than a few pounds, I just know it. Should I or should I not? I shall.

I stepped on it to wake it up. The digital display circled and rested at zero. I stared at it. Then I stepped forward . . . one foot . . . then the other. I looked up so as not to see the number. Then I looked down. Really??? I quickly did the math in my head. This must be a mistake. I stepped off. I stepped back on. The same number. I did the math again in my head thinking I had made an error. Nope.

I lost 17.5 pounds in 4 weeks. I have lost almost 20 pounds. I am one happy girl. One very, very happy girl.

I have been counting calories. Not really counting them exactly, more like just tracking them. I have been using The Daily Plate at Livestrong.com which allows you to track your food online. They have an extensive database, larger than any I have seen, with grocery store food, restaurants, and just about anything you can eat. I just look up an item, click on it and it adds it. They also have an application for blackberry and iphones so I can track it during the day away from the computer. It will track exercise and activity also and add back calories burned. It’s been fairly easy to track and manage and I have only gone over my daily calories a few times.

I am really enjoying the bike riding, especially with my daughter and my friends. I can do activity or exercise all day long if there is a social or fun side to it. I don’t care for the gym or jogging or the treadmill. I used to play basketball and I was pretty good. I could run up and down the court for hours on end, never wanting to stop. But if you said I had to run laps, I hated it with a passion. When I was playing, my mind was not on the running. When I ran laps, it’s all I thought about. So I know I have to have exercise that takes my mind off what I’m doing and it has to be fun.

So the journey continues. I’m glad I peeked but I will not weigh again for at least another 4 weeks. Or until the curiosity wins again.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

sarahbb said...

WOW! Congratulations! I know seeing that success must have been such a great feeling.

~JarieLyn~ said...

That is awesome! I feel good for you.

Ruth D~ said...

That is major... and worth a happy dance. Or bike ride.:>) Congrats.

Ruth D~ said...

Is the livestrong.com site free, btw?

Tere said...

Ruth - yes it's free. You can pay for a gold membership but the benefits do not warrant the cost. Free works fine.