Sunday, July 26, 2009

We Are All Looking For The Magic Bullet

Weight loss is just hard. I don’t care if you are 20 lbs. overweight or 200 lbs. over, losing weight takes effort, sacrifice, and time. We want it to be simple, some easy answer we have not thought of, a Magic Bullet if you will. The only Magic Bullet I know As Seen On TVof is the blender pictured at right, as seen on TV.

I have long struggled with my weight but only recently has my weight been a problem for me. I was average size in high school. I have never been made fun of or been called names because of my weight until the Redneck in the Red Truck chased me. I was never stopped from doing anything because of my weight and my husband loved my curves. I never minded being overweight and spent a lot of time trying to show the world that fat does not mean lazy, stupid, or ugly.

I lost weight – I’ve lost 50 pounds at least 3 separate times through low fat eating or Weight Watchers and exercise. Then I got older. My blood pressure became elevated and I hate taking medication. Losing the fat got harder.

Last year I was going to Curves at least 3 days a week and going to Weight Watchers. I would gain a pound, lose a pound and at the end of 6 months, I was right where I had started . . . . . fat. So I gave up. And instantly . . . really . . . like in 4 weeks . . . I gained 20 pounds, putting me at my highest weight yet and NO, I won’t tell you what it is.

And my knees bother me. And I have no energy. I have always been big but I have never felt FAT until now. Where did these lumps come from? And what is that hanging under my upper arms? I was looking at a photo of me on the beach where I am sitting on the sand with my legs straight out to each side. I look like a six month old looks when you plop them down on the floor with all the requisite rolls of fat and splayed out legs holding them up. Ewwwwwwwww!

So it’s time. I have to do this again and I want to do it. But I have to do it my way this time. Weight Watchers has always worked well for me and it is an excellent program but I have to do something different. Armed with the knowledge I have gained from various diet programs that have worked for me, some HungryGirl.com recipes for desperate times, and my Magic Bullet blender I think I can do this. My kids are onboard and we could all eat healthier anyway. And for anyone that has ever seen the show Ruby on the Style Network, she is such an inspiration for anyone that is trying to lose weight. If she can do it, I can too.

I have done a lot of soul searching to understand the way my brain works in these situations. Losing weight is all really mental anyway. I know that I can’t set goals like most experts suggest – I just don’t work well with goals. My goal is to lose weight until I’m satisfied and healthy. I will not weigh myself until I can see a huge difference in my clothes – weight is all about a number and I can’t get hung up on numbers. And exercise is something I will work up to and get in different ways. I have always hated “exercise” but I love athletic games, hiking, and being active but I have not been getting out of the house a lot lately. Again, no set goals like 30 minutes, 3 times a week. I will just focus on getting some movement and activity in every day and not sitting in front of the TV or computer.

So now, my journey begins. I’m sure I will keep you posted on how it’s going.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Katie said...

Well, Tere...I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life too and a little disgusted with myself. How did this happen? Anyway, I wish you the best...you are SUCH a determined individual, I can't imagine anything but success for you. I'm going to try as well. We'll see.......

~JarieLyn~ said...

Hey Tere, I admire ther honesty in your post. It was heartfelt and raw. I too, have been trying to lose some weight.....only about ten pounds, but it has been difficult. I have changed my eating habits to more whole foods and I eat more often. So far, eating more often and healthier seems to be stabilizing the weight. My husband, on the otherhand has lost about 10 pounds. Why is it so much easier for men to lose? I wish you all the best on your journey. I'm sure you will make progress.