Sunday, July 19, 2009

Motherhood

mother and child

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
~Rajneesh

It doesn’t matter how old your children are, you are still their mother. As they grow older, it gets easier but some things never change. Like when they are sick, they need you.

My daughter was fighting off a virus most of the week. On Friday night, I had an appointment and my daughter met me afterwards so we could get some dinner. She was sluggish but wanted to go out to eat so we got into my car and left her car parked.

As I drove, I made some suggestions and her lukewarm reaction told me to keep going. We passed several restaurants and she again made it clear they were not options. After driving for about 10 minutes, she began whining and said “Can we just go home?”

So as a mom, I turned the car around. My stomach was growling and I suggested that I would call someplace and pick up an order. Again, whining. “Mom, I think I’m going to throw up.” I asked if she needed me to pull over and she said yes.

We were driving on a fairly busy road so my plan was to turn at the next street and when I did, there wasn’t really a place to pull over. As I pulled into a parking lot, she covered her mouth. I pulled over quickly and told her to open the door. She had one hand over her mouth and one on the door and she was gagging. I told her again to open the door. Why wasn’t she opening the door?

I quickly found out. Being the wonderful Mom that I am, I forgot to put the car in park so the doors would unlock. She couldn’t get the door open and then it was too late. The term “blowing chunks” became quite clear to me visually and there was evidence of it all over the passenger side window. And all over the seat, her clothes, the dashboard and the door.

All of my worst experiences in motherhood can be lumped into one category – puke. My son has given me many experiences in this area, stories for another day. The picture above is of a statue my mother gave me when I was 21. It embodies motherhood for me, the look of joy on the mother’s and the child’s face. But reality is, the baby is at the perfect angle to puke right on the mom. It probably happened right after they posed for this sculpture.

My daughter was fine. She stripped down, cleaned off herself and the door, wrapped a towel around herself and we headed home where she crawled into bed and slept for about 14 hours.

I spent the evening reminding myself that motherhood is a wild and wonderful ride.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Lisa Mac said...

Why is it that us "childcare people" can discuss puke as if we were deciding what to fix for dinner, and we, as "childcare people", even laugh about it?

Tere said...

So true Lisa!

Ruth D~ said...

Something like that you can only deal with if it's happening to your child, however grown they might be. Hopes she feels better, and that your car is clean.

Ingrid said...

I am quite young to become a mother :) and I guess I am not ready for that, but thank you for sharing your thoughts, it was a great read ..

Take care,

Ingrid