Wednesday, April 1, 2009

You Are So Tweet

I am sure you have heard of Twitter. It seems to be all over the media - the Today Show, The View, radio, local news, national news, everyone seems to be saying "follow me on Twitter". But you may not know what the hype is all about.

It's kind of hard to explain if you have never seen it. Basically, you have 140 characters to express a thought. You can enter it on your mobile phone or online. Your thought goes out into cyberland and anyone who is "following" you can read it immediately. And you can read "tweets" by anyone you "follow".

"Why would I want to do that?" you might say. You might not. Some say it's TMI - too much information. But it's not like you must read it or participate. Some people tweet hourly or more. Others, once a day or even every few days. Okay, there are those that tweet like this:
  • I just ate breakfast. Oatmeal and milk.
  • Just brushed my teeth. Used minty toothpaste.
  • Drove to work. Sitting at my desk now.
Guess what - I don't follow those people. Not many people do.

I follow people that are funny or amazing or interesting. I love Brian Andreas who writes StoryPeople stories - he is funny and some of his tweets are like poetry. Some of my blogger friends are on twitter and I love hearing their so-called mini blogs as tweets. Here are some of my favorite recent tweets:
  • dooceBit of a bumpy landing at SFO, and I'm only mildly exaggerating when I say that the baby stuck her foot up into the back of my mouth.
  • badbananaObama gave the Queen an iPod. Now she'll have something to listen to while being carried around the jogging track
  • brineypupthinking of work as an ecstatic dance, because if I thought of it as work, I'd probably have to go lie down & take a nap
Interesting people with interesting thoughts. If I can't be around them in person, I love being able to experience them via my blackberry.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Being the "simple" woman I am.... this kind of tech just blows my mind.
I upload a picture, write a short narative and hit publish...
I've sure got a lot to learn!!!


Love and Hugs
Wanda

Ruth D~ said...

I fear anymore tech distractions. I sometimes need to get away from it all. You make it sound interesting, but . . .