Thursday, February 19, 2009

Narcissism Plus Social Media Equals Me, Me, Me

I have been on Facebook only a few months but one of the first things someone "tagged" me with was a survey entitled "25 Random Things About Me". Here's how it goes: someone "tags" you, you write 25 random things about yourself and you tag 25 other people who do the same. As you can imagine, this thing moves pretty quickly.

A few weeks ago, I was listening to Good Morning America Radio on XMSirius. They were discussing the spread of "25 Things" and it's relevance to society. Questions and comments flew as people called in. Some said it was narcissistic and others said it was just TMI. Some opined that hopefully people know when to use the edit button. Still others said they liked learning new things about people they thought they knew well. Interestingly enough, the whole time they were discussing this, they asked callers to share one of their own "25 Things". Then the host and the caller would discuss and compare that thing. All in all, there was no call to end the chain, no revelations, and "25 Things" continues in many forms on Facebook and other social media sites.

It all boils down to one thing - we like to talk about ourselves. And we like to read about other people's so-called secrets. As long as we know where the line is drawn, who really cares? If you don't care to read it, you don't have to read it. If you don't want to create your own, you don't need to write it. It's just for fun.

So, just for fun, here is what I wrote for my 25 Random Things About Me, Me, Me.

1. I am going to win the lottery one day. I just know it.
2. I already know how I will spend and distribute the money I will win. Some of you are on the list.
3. I don't know how to blow my nose. Long story but really.
4. In my head, I'm an artsy bohemian. On the outside, I just look like a mom.
5. Also in my head, I'm still only 25 years old.
6.I love to organize. Even if it only makes it organized chaos.
7. I love cemeteries
8. I used to be embarrased about being an "officer's kid".
9. I miss my mom more than I could ever explain.
10. I love dirty jokes.
11. I have a written list, in a notebook, of what I want in a soul mate. I carry the notebook in my purse. And no, you can't see it.
12. I have small hands. Getting my nails done makes them look larger. Yeah, that's why I do it.
13. I have lived on 3 continents, in 3 countries, in 7 states, and in 16 cities.
14. My favorite place that I lived was Germany.
15. I wish I had two more kids. I like the ones I have, just wish I had more.
16. I'm not afraid to die but I am afraid of dying and leaving my kids with no parents at all.
17. One day, I want to live in a large victorian farmhouse on at least 10 acres.
18. I would love to travel in a time machine. But only backwards. Leave the future alone.
19. I have more shoes than Imelda Marcos. Cute shoes work on fat girls.
20. I'm addicted to techno gadgets.
21. I hate to shop. Yes, really.
22. I am not an animal lover.
23. I have 5 dogs living at my house. That's mostly why I don't love animals.
24. I wish I was funny. My brother is REALLY funny.
25. I love my life.

2 comments:

storypeople said...

Oooh. Exactly five minutes ago, I was writing a script about our secrets and how I suspect THEY'RE the big treasure of the internet age. The good stuff is in our secrets. blah-blah-blah. You said it better.

THIS was a very happy thing to read.

Wanda said...

You have a great list of 25!! But I disagree with 24... I think you are funny!!



LOL:Wanda