Sunday, January 4, 2009

Slightly On Target

I generally don't make New Year's Resolutions and I am not a goal setter. I know all about goals and how to set them. I have taken several workshops on how to set goals and to break them down into specific, measurable steps. But the thing is . . . I think way too much to use goals as a motivational tool. I try to outsmart my goals. I rationalize my lack of dedication. I change my goals, which really is okay but doesn't do much for reaching them. I just do better if I work on a day to day basis, setting goals for that day only. It's all about the freedom of flexibility.

But lately, I have been assessing my life and doing a lot of thinking about how I want things to go. I spend way too much time thinking about where I am and things I want to do. But I never seem to actually do those things. I'm always gonna do them, I just never seem to get around to it. I need to evolve.

So I am going to write three of them down now and, hopefully, I will be checking them off here over the next year.

1. Redecorate my guest bedroom, den, and bathroom. I have lived in this house for 11 years and this has been one of my plans since I moved in. Something that really reflects my personality. Paint, furniture, curtains, knick-knacks that all have some similarity to each other rather than just stuck there because it didn't go anywhere else in the house. This must be done cheaply and with the help of my son's friend Steven who has a background in interior decorating.

2. Become a "FATshionista". I am so bored with my clothes. Fat girls are limited by choices and my job is a bit limiting but everyone's wardrobe should reflect their personality. Mine says boring mom that buys stuff because it's practical. That is NOT me. So inspired by others, including my Flickr friend, Dyxie, I will dress according to my personality. Once I remember what that is. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

3. I am going to say YES to more things. Have you seen the movie "Yes Man"? I need to say yes more often. I sometimes say I'm busy or avoid a new situation just because . . . I don't know why. Maybe because it's easier to say no than to put myself out there? Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter because I am going to start saying yes.

That's it. I will keep you posted here on how it's going. Evolution coming soon.

1 comments:

Andie, aka Andemonium said...

Try softsurroundings.com and their clearance outlet softsurroundingsoutlet.com. Fun and funky clothes that come in big girl sizes, too. I'm hooked.