Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fat-shionista Update

I have been having so much fun with this Fat-shionista group. Fat girls love clothes too. In a recent blog post, I shared that I would be trying to spiff up my wardrobe and get out of that boring black and brown thing I've had going on. I'm still using the black and brown but changing it up a little bit.

Spiffiness does not have to cost money. Well, not a lot at least. I like to have some good quality basics and I tend to spend a little more for those pieces. I love Talbot's Woman because their clothes are good quality, they fit well, and almost everything can be thrown in the washer and dryer. Those peices hold up well and last for several years. And I hate spending money on dry cleaning. Why buy a beautiful dress on sale then spend more on dry cleaning than you spent on the dress??? But I digress.

I decided that my best bet would be to spiff up using accessories. I love belts and have many. I bought some very inexpensive jewelry at a local department store that is going out of business - chunky colorful necklaces for $3 and $4. I found some scarves that were bright colored and made me happy. And straight up cheap little shoes, $4, $8, and $11.99 . . . gotta love that.

As a member of the Fatshionista group on Flickr, you take photos of your various outfits and then describe each peice, telling where you got each one. That way, other fat girls hear of stores, both online and brick and mortar, that carry plus sizes. It also gives some inspiration and ideas for getting outside the box and trying something new.

Now . . . some of those outfits will never be found on this fat girl. They are a little too far outside my small, very compact box. But I have tried a lot of new things. I bought some boots and colored tights. I tried footless tights with ballet slippers and a dress. I quit worrying if something didn't exactly match.

These are not groundbreaking ideas. This is not really even important. We have a cease fire in Isreal and Gaza. That is important. This week, we have an exciting new president. That is important. There is a feeling of hope and of pride in America. My sister, who has never felt proud of her country before for various reasons is swelling with pride. I like that. And it is important because many people in this country feel the same way.

But in my little corner of the world, I feel good. I am having fun. Again, it's that whole thing about feeling good about yourself.

So right now, I feel good about myself. And I am lookin' for some sales, ya'll.

5 comments:

Andie, aka Andemonium said...

LOVE the gray/black boots outfit!!!

Wanda said...

Well don't you just look cool as all get out. In fact adorable comes to mind! Both outfits look outstanding. Love those boots!

I just got some really good deals at my "junking" thrift store, stop by my blog and check out the prices.

Also love the background of your home....lovely!!!

Love and Hugs
Wanda

Wanda said...

P.S. Cute shoes in the top pic too.

Ruth D~ said...

Clothes don't make the woman, but this woman, that would be you, certainly makes these clothes. Love the look! Wish I could find something to perk up my look . . . but then, that would mean I'd have to go shopping! :>)

Tere said...

Thanks ya'll. It's been fun. And Ruth, believe me, I hate shopping as much as you do.