Friday, October 31, 2008

I Didn't Inherit That Gene

My Mom loved holidays. She was quite crafty so she made most of our decorations when we were younger. And she went all out for every holiday. It was like a complete redecorating process every few weeks from October through Easter.

Halloween was amazing. She always made our costumes and she always dressed up. The photo at left is Mom dressed for Halloween in 1969. She made her witch costume, blacked out a few teeth with one of our black crayolas, applied scary makeup, added funny groucho nose glasses, made a red yarn wig, and crafted a witch hat. Then she stayed in character the whole night, handing out candy, speaking and laughing like the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz.

I didn't inherit that gene.

Early in my 20's I tried to follow in her footsteps. I worked in childcare as a teacher and that was back when we actually celebrated Halloween with costumes and parties. I dressed up as a crayola one year, a little girl another year, a witch the next. And I was a great witch. I can do the witch voice and laugh just like Mom. "I'll get you my pretty!" "And your little dog too!" "AAAAAAHHHHHHH - HAAAAAAAAAAAAA - HAHAHA". Mom would be proud!

I loved helping my own children with their Halloween costumes, being creative, decorating the house, painting faces, making sure they were having a great holiday.

Over the years, I just quit participating. On the day of Halloween, I began to devise ways to be gone during trick-or-treating time, either with my own children or, as they grew older, just because I didn't want to buy the candy. Or I bought the candy and my daughter handed it out. Mom would be embarrassed.

So tonight, my plan is to go see a movie. Sad. But it is what it is. I will call my youngest sister to tell her Happy Birthday and hope that when I have grandchildren, the motivation and my mother's influence will return.

3 comments:

Andie, aka Andemonium said...

I didn't inherit the gene, either. Not even as much as you did. But since it's my birthday, I just use "it's all about me today" as my excuse! :)

Abraham Lincoln said...

LOL. Funny.

I forgot about theme day today so I just found some of the books I wrote and took a photo and published that. Too late to be included in the group but it worked for me. LOL

Ruth D~ said...

So I'm not alone? I hate anything that requires a costume, but unlike you, my mother wasn't all that thrilled either. my father culled together our costumes. Fun then, but now . . . I'm glad we live on a busy street and get 6 or 7 goblins, max.