Sunday, September 28, 2008

My daughter bought a pumpkin yesterday. A very large pumpkin. She has taken over the holidays this past year and that's okay with me. As my interest in holiday and seasonal decorating wanes, her desire to do things on her own has increased.

This evening, she brought out the pumpkin and the boyfriend. He SAID he had no interest in carving the pumpkin. He SAID pumpkins stink. He SAID he hated the goo inside. But he decided to watch and joined us outside.

My daughter started out the process. He helped cut the top out. She dug out the innards. They decided on the type of jack-o-lantern face they would carve. He started carving the eyebrows. I drew the rest of the face. He began cutting out the eyes while she made suggestions.

I went in and starting transferring photos from my camera to my computer. A few minutes later my daughter came in and sat down with me.

"I would love to carve some of my pumpkin but Mr. I Hate Pumpkins is doing it all." I suggested she go back out and calmly negotiate for some carving time. They switched places for a while.

Pumpkin carving. Relationships. Some of the time, one of you does the yucky work and the other does the fun stuff. And other times you switch. They made it through this pumpkin just like they have passed the last year and a half. Giving up some of the control so the other one can have some fun too.

2 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

Wow. That is one big pumpkin. There is enough in there to make lots of pumpkin pies with some left over.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Ruth D~ said...

Ahh, Mars and Venus.