Thursday, August 21, 2008

Read Much?

I read junk. I would love to say that I have read the classics and devour a new novel each week. That would be a lie.

I really love to read and actually read all the time. But I have a hard time focusing on novels. The problem is if it's interesting, I want to stay up all night and read. But I always fall asleep while reading, not because it's boring but because reading puts me to sleep. I can't go to sleep unless I read.

I read lots of trivia books and magazines because of my short attention span. I have had a subscription to People for so many years that I have forgotten how long it's been. I have been reading People since it first started in the 70's. Every night, I go to sleep with my People.

It's always the same . . . the new weekly edition arrives on Friday. I start that night on the first page, read the reviews and trivial stuff in the first section. Then, in the articles, I look at all the photos and read the captions but don't read the articles. I do that until I get to the end. Then I go back and read the articles. This process takes about a week because I always read until I fall asleep. Some nights, that's after a few words and sometimes it takes a few pages. It has become difficult to stretch it to a week lately as People has shrunk. There are WAY less pages than there used to be.

It's kind of hard to fit a novel into my People routine. Occasionally I find one that interests me and it becomes my priority. I read a review for the book above - "What Happened To Anna K.?" and it really sounded interesting. It is an updated retelling of Anna Karenina set in a Russian immigrant section of Queens. So I bought it and I am going to start it this weekend. We will see.

What are some of your favorite books?


3 comments:

Katie C. said...

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Ruth D~ said...

Ha! I know the feeling. I fall asleep with a book and wake when it falls out of my hands. I just read the new bestseller Edgar Sawtelle. It was intriguing, but it got slow for a while before it picked back up.

I liked The Thornbirds . . . I read and usually forget the title or what the book was about . . . what does that mean?

Wanda said...

Runth mentioned the Thornbirds...I thought that was one of the best mini series they had on TV, with Richard Chamberlin!

I love novels, and have read all of Francine Rivers ~~ she always uses scripture in her stories, and I like the way she writes.

I read a lot of Study books for the Bible studies I've had. But novels for fun!!