Monday, August 18, 2008

Litton's, Since 1946

Yum! Litton's is a Knoxville tradition. Although they are a restaurant, they are also a market and bakery. They are one of those places that are still around after many years that all the locals know about. Although you can get a salad or a grilled chicken plate, you don't go there when you are on a diet. And you don't go there when you are not real hungry.

Litton's is known for their Thunder Road Burger, pictured at left. It is a HUGE burger, topped with pimiento cheese, sauteed onions, and a jalapeno pepper on a homemade bun. Way too much for me but I have eaten 1/2 of one. It was yummy but I prefer the regular cheeseburger or the bacon cheeseburger with their hand-cut french fries.

I love restaurants that are "local" and that have character. When you enter Litton's, you WILL have to stand in line, so you walk over to the chalkboard and write your name and the number in your party. Have a seat in the church pew looking benches along the wall and they'll call your name soon. On the chalkboard, you will find the specials of the day. They have daily blue plate specials, so you can check the chalkboard to find out what home cooked vegetables you might get with your entree.

The wood counter and cash register wrap around the center of the restaurant. To the left of the register are the market cases where you can get meat, poultry, seafood, and some prepared items. To the right of the register, the dessert case is right up front, tempting you while you wait. All the desserts are homemade at the restaurant and they are soooooooooo good. Red Velvet, Italian Cream, Neopolitan cakes, pies, cheesecakes, cupcakes, cookies, oh my! My favorite is the coconut pie because it tastes just like my grandmother's. But they also have this dessert called a Baby Jane that is to die for. It is like a strawberry shortcake but made with white cake. The whipped topping is a white chocolate rum mousse!!!! It melts in your mouth and you understand what heaven might taste like.

Ok - now I am really hungry. I should never write when I'm hungry. Looks like lunch tomorrow will be at Litton's.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love Litton's and now I am going to have to go there soon for a burger!! Yum-o!

Katie Carney said...

Litton's is definitely one of the things I miss about K-town. I hadn't thought of it in years and now I want to go....RIGHT NOW!