Monday, August 25, 2008

I Love StoryPeople

Do you know about StoryPeople by Brian Andreas? Until a few weeks ago, I did not.

My youngest sister was looking for a sign. She believes strongly in signs and was looking for one that would tell her that things were going to get better. Something that would give her some comfort that our Mom was nearby. She was getting nothing. She called a friend. She called me. She cried. She was killing some time while her son visited with his paternal grandparents. After hanging up the phone, she wandered through some shops in Laguna Beach. She found some comfort in a new age store among the crystals.

Later she saw a store with funky prints that were different than what you normally see. The drawings looked like they had started as doodling that turned into something more ethereal. The prints had "stories" on them. She found her sign. It said:
"I used to wait for a sign, she said, before I did anything. Then one night I had a dream & an angel in black tights came to me & said, you can start any time now, & then I asked is this a sign? & the angel started laughing & I woke up. Now, I think the whole world is filled with signs, but if there's no laughter, I know they're not for me."
She was calm again. And excited. She read more. She found more "stories" that related to her life. She called me again. "Have you ever heard of Brian Andreas? Write it down. Look it up on the internet". So I did. And I loved it too. I went to the website where I found hundreds of the stories to browse through. I signed up for an emailed Story of the Day. I ordered most of his books. I will order his prints as I can afford them. They also have a blog called PeopleStories. I have become a little obsessed.

All I know is how I feel when I read the stories. Some are funny, some touching. I always find one that applies to me right now, however I am feeling at that moment. The one above says:
"Is willing to accept that she creates her own reality except for some of the parts where she can't help but wonder what the hell she was thinking."
Let me know what you think. And I am sorry in advance if you become obsessed too.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

I really enjoyed reading how much you are loving this website. When I get a little extra time, I'll check out your links.

I love Laguna Beach...It has so many wonderful shops and interesting thing.

storypeople said...

And StoryPeople loves you, too! :)

I had to go away for a few minutes to think about this. But I realize that my first impulse hasn't changed. I've been around StoryPeople for a long time and Brian's stories still make me feel like I found some kind of treasure.

I think you'll always find his stories nearly irresistible because he writes and paints and thinks and feels (okay, I guess I could've just said 'he lives' - ha!) from a genuine place that loves everything we are. Even if he's being pretty sassy and wry about it. :)

You're going to just have to believe me, that this is true.

Very very sincerely, Cris

Tere said...

Wanda - I really think you'll like it. You have a lot going on in your life right now and I know you will find something there that relates.

Cris - thanks so much for stopping by. I have to say here that I love the way you write also. It's very real and feels like we are just carrying on a conversation. And I do believe you.

Ruth D~ said...

Amazing that SP can resonate with so many people in so many ways, isn't it?