Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Surprise!

Yes, that is a real tattoo. For those of you that know me, this is truly a surprise. I have never wanted a tattoo, mostly because of my age and the impression it gives people about you, but also, I am not into permanently scarring my body.

Last year when I did the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure we were given a scarf from Ford's Warriors in Pink campaign. With it was a card that told what all the symbols in the scarf's design represented. When my daughter started talking about getting another tattoo, she wanted to get one of the symbols. Later, she changed her mind but I still thought it would be a great idea.

As our beach trip approached, Robin decided that she was getting a tattoo for her 40th birthday. The idea of the tattoo became more interesting to me, I was going to do it. It had to be meaningful. I wanted something that was in memory of my mom but didn't want it to be cheesy. I didn't want anyone to be able to see the tattoo but I wanted to be able to see it myself. I finally decided on TWO - one for Mom on my shoulder and one for me on the inside of my ankle. I chose the Angel Wings which "honors the angels who have passed after their fight with breast cancer" and the Spiral which "represents life, a conduit through which spiritual and physical energies flow".

Before we went to the tattoo shop, we were waiting on dinner and a family walked by us several times. The woman was several years older than me and wrinkly. When she spoke, she sounded like she had just smoked 5 packs of cigarettes. The two small girls called her "Mammaw". She had a big black tattoo on her calf. It made me think . . . do I really want to be "Mammaw with the tattoo"?

But I went through with it. And I'm glad. I never have to do it again either. I have my Mom on my shoulder. And on my foot, I have a reminder that life goes on. That's all I need.

6 comments:

Ruth D~ said...

Interesting . . . so many of us oldsters are getting tattoos. I probably never will, 99 percent anyway, but it's nice to think what I might get if I change my mind. You have two special marks.

Was it painful? did it take long?

Isadora said...

:) Glad you did what you had to do. This would never be a dilemma for me - needles and pain were just not meant for me, so the though would never enter my mind.

Tere said...

Ruth - yes, the one on my foot was very painful, the one on my shoulder was not. Since they are small, both took about an hour in total. It was much faster than I thought.

Ruth D~ said...

That was quick. I'm surprised.

Wanda said...

I don't have a tattoo, but I sure don't have a problem with anyone having one. My youngest daughter, (37) has three ~~ all flowers

I freaked my husband out one anniversary when I put a fake rose tattoo on my boob! Should have seen the look on "Pastor Don's" face...we have cracked up so many times remembering that day!!

I think your's look real cool!!
Love and Hugs
Wanda

Tere said...

Wanda - you are hilarious. I have never met Pastor Don but can just imagine his face when you showed him the boob tattoo. That's a great story.