Thursday, June 5, 2008

Music, Music, Music


I love music. I have always loved music.

When I was 4 years old, I figured out how to work the stereo in our living room. This was back when records were king. I don't remember the brand name of our system but for those that don't remember or were not born yet, you used to have to set the record on a spindle where it would drop about halfway down and catch on a tiny little "ledge" that jutted out. Then you moved a small arm over to help it stay balanced. You flipped a switch located off to the side of the turntable and the arm moved away, the record dropped onto the turntable, the needle arm moved over, dropped to the spinning record and the music began to play.

I loved Elvis, Trini Lopez, The Kingston Trio, but most of all, I loved The New Christie Minstrels. They were a large group with several men and several women. They sang folk songs - it was the 60's. I knew every word to every song on all 3 albums that my parents owned.

My dad also played the guitar. He taught himself and loved to entertain my brother and I when he came home from work. He sang popular songs of the time and we always sang along. Our favorite was "The Tennessee Waltz". We used to dance around the living room, thinking what we were doing was really a waltz - whatever that was. I learned to play the organ at 6, the recorder at 10, and took piano lessons at 12. I was never really that good because I played by ear and didn't want to take the time to read the music once I learned the song.

When I was 5, I became infatuated with the new hot group, The Beatles. From then on, there was always some music group that I just had to have their latest album or some singer I had a crush on. I never had "movie star" crushes - it was always musicians for me.

I still love music and my tastes cross many genres. I love hearing new music and my Ipod is filled with songs whose popularity spans generations. My daughter introduces me to different artists and then I share some with her. She recently shared that some of her friends will ask her if she has heard a certain song and she says "yeah, my Mom has that on her Ipod" and they look at her really funny!

I can't imagine a world without music. I think I would have to invent it if it didn't exist.

1 comments:

Wanda said...

Amen Sister!!! I can't imagine life without music either!!

One of the things I really miss in moving, is I was on our church praise team for years...:)