Sunday, April 27, 2008

Save The Last Dance


It's the last one. Her last prom. This has been a year of lasts.

Last Senior year. Last first day of school. Last Christmas break. Last spring break. And now, the last prom.

She is my last. Zack was my first. I was always so excited for Zack to do everything. Everything was a new experience. With her, I was excited but also a little sad. As I helped yesterday, I thought about how special our time together is and that it is all changing a little bit. Exciting but also sad.

Last year she went all out - hair, makeup, and nails done in a salon, $350 dress encrusted with stones and crystals. This year she went as "herself" . . . in a dress she loved even if it was not your traditional prom dress. I did her makeup. She had her nails done early last week. She is laid back and on Saturday, everything else was laid back too. I proud of her for staying true to herself.

She and her friends came back to the house afterwards and hung out, watching movies and eating up all the food in the house. They skipped the after-parties which saved me a lot of worry. It kept me awake until about 3:30am this morning but I knew where they were and that they were safe.

It was the last prom. Next is the last graduation. It's a little sad but exciting too. She is growing up. I like the young adult she has become. I like her friends. I like that she is my friend. And like I said, I'm pretty proud of her.

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh how I remember those days. The Lasts...I watched it all with my four.

Now it's the grandchildren going to proms and graduating...A new and wonderful adventure.

Love ya, Wanda

Ruth D~ said...

She's beautiful!

This makes me nostalgic. My last went through this last year, and . . . well, it's nostalgic.

Tere said...

Wanda and Ruth - I am looking forward to the new adventures and looking back at the good times.