Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cute Shoes! They Are So Me!

I love my new shoes! I love bright and colorful shoes with fun patterns. It's all about self-expression.

I think it all stems from years as a "fat girl". Plus size or Fat girl clothes are not the cutest. They are only 2 kinds of fat girl clothes - old lady or hoochie. I am neither old lady nor hoochie - more somewhere in between. So because I am limited in my choices for clothes, my self-expression tends to be through shoes.

As I was trying on these shoes in the store, a woman approached me. She asked what was so great about this store, saying that the prices didn't seem that great. I said "It's not about the price, it's about the choices." Then she uttered the most astounding words ever . . . "I'm just not a shoe person"!!!!!!

We conversed for minute about my belief that it's hard to find cute clothes in large sizes so that's why I love shoes - they fit everyone. She told me that she doesn't notice someone's shoes when she sees them, she notices their clothes.

So I began to think . . . is it about getting noticed? I don't believe so. I truly believe it is about self-expression. I don't care if people notice my clothes or my shoes. I care how I feel in them, what they say about me. I think these shoes say that I am creative and I love color. That I am not conventional and like to be different and fun. Some may think that's weird and that's okay. I am not looking to please, only to express who I am.

And I am not a fat girl, wearing conservative clothes because that's what's available. You can tell who I really am by looking at my feet!

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Well I for one, love your shoes, and your expression of yourself!!

I am a shoe person! I notice peoples shoes.....and I like to wear cute ones myself!! In fact I bought a pair of black polka*dot flip flops cause they match a black Polka*dot skirt I have. They don't match anything else...but that's OK, Right???

Tere said...

Wanda - I think that buying polka dot flip flops because they match a polka dot skirt is a perfectly legitimate reason. I would do it!

calimountainmama said...

DUDE....they look like a page out of one of your scrapbooks! Perfect for you, indeed!!!! :)