Sunday, April 13, 2008

5 More Things

I promised 5 more things you don't know about me on Friday but life interfered with my blogging! How dare life??? Actually, it was all good - good days, fun evenings, spending time with friends and family.

Here are 5 more things . . .

5. I don't dream anymore. I guess that's not completely true. Maybe I just don't remember dreams. I remember my dreams that wake me up. Usually those are weird dreams that scare me awake. So I must be dreaming but I would love to remember the good dreams too.

6. I have an inner bohemian. When I was a teenager during the 70's, my dream was to move to the mountains, live in a log cabin with no electricity, grow my own food, and generally live like they did a century ago. Then my mom reminded me that I wouldn't be able to listen to the radio, play records, or watch TV with no power. So I had to rethink things because, at the time, those things were very important to me. I still have that part of me that would love to live more simply, wear "hippie" clothes, make a living through art, and hang out with musicians and artists. But I am also practical and not really sure that I wouldn't be bored over time.

7. I love cemeteries. I know, weird, huh? I actually find them quite comforting, especially old cemeteries. As a student of genealogy, I have spent a lot of time in cemeteries. I love walking among the headstones and statues, looking for names and dates. I think about the people buried there and imagine their lives. I think about their families. I take photos of the angel statues. I worry about the neglected graves. I am thankful for my family and my life.

8. I wish I had a time machine. I don't think I would go forward in time. I really do not want to know what happens in the future, I would rather just live life. But the past fascinates me. I wouldn't want to go back to try to change anything but just be there to experience things as they happened. I would visit my ancestors and get to know them as people. I would be at the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the events that led up to it. I would be a spectator at the birth of Jesus. I would be a neighbor to my parents as children. I would observe Abraham Lincoln preparing his Gettysburg Address. There are so many fascinating events in history that we discuss today that probably have been embellished as the stories have been retold. I would love to experience them as they happened.

9. I love dirty jokes. Totally inappropriate, yes. Totally against my feminist nature. But still true.

10. If I was going to be a celebrity, I would be Oprah. I am not a huge fan of celebrities and can't tolerate ego promotion. But I am fascinated by Oprah. She is amazingly wealthy but truly thankful for what she has. She helps others and gives away a great deal of money. She uses her influence for things she believes in. She acknowledges her mistakes. And she has fun doing what she does.

In preparing this post and the last, I found I had a difficult time coming up with 10 things. I know I have other things because, in the past, I have made lists in my head but none of those things made it here. I'm sure they will come up at some other time in a future post. For now, you know me a little better. I would love to see some of you do the same some time. I feel as though I know most of you through your own writings but we can always learn a little more.

2 comments:

Ruth D~ said...

So for your next blog . . . how 'bout a dirty joke? :>)

Tere said...

I would love to but even though I love a good dirty joke, I can't tell them. I have only one joke that I can tell - you need to hear the accent to really enjoy it AND it has the "f" word in it and no other word can substitute. So I won't be repeating it here. Maybe in person some time . . . ;)