Saturday, March 1, 2008

Books R Us

My blog friend Ruth at Upstream and Down tagged me on a meme. For those that aren't sure what a meme is, The Daily Meme says:

People often ask, "What is a Meme?" so here's a more than a little information on that. I pronounce it so it's rhymes with 'dream'; some pronounce it so it sounds like 'mem' (from mem-ory).

In the context of web logs / 'blogs / blogging and other kinds of personal web sites it's some kind of list of questions that you saw somewhere else and you decided to answer the questions. Then someone else sees them and does them and so on and so on.

So here is the meme:

1. Grab the nearest book of 123 pages or more. 

2. Open it to page 123. 

3. Find the first 5 sentences and write them down. 

4. Then invite 5 friends to do the same.

I have 3 books that I am reading right now - The Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier, Basic Black by Cathie Black which I am about to start, and Schott's Miscellany 2008 by Ben Schott which I read on airplanes and in the bathtub. Yes, really.

First, I turned to page 123 of Schott's Miscellany. There are mostly lists rather than sentences. Page 123 contains Hollywood's Worst Dressed Women, A list of people that have sported Milk Mustaches, and What is Sexy? Not really profound or even terribly interesting.

I moved on to The Law of Attraction. On page 123, Losier discusses negative thinking.

On the other hand, many of you may also be familiar with the saying "Negativity breeds negativity." Most of us have people in our lives that aren't on station 98.5 at the same time when we are. Recall a time in your life when your vibration was high. You're having one great experience followed by another and you love everything about your life. Then your telephone rings.

Wow, way to leave us hanging! Losier goes on to talk about not letting "Negative Nelly" change your "high" and bring you down.

So I checked Basic Black. Page 123 was the first of a chapter entitled "Landing Your Dream Job".

I thought I'd seen everything, until a day a giant potted plant appeared in my office in New York Magazine. It looked about four feet tall.

"What's is this?" I asked my assistant. She told me it was from someone I'd just interviewed for a job. She handed me the card that came with it and I read with astonishment, "I'd love to come to work for you and help your garden grow" (or some such) signed by the hopeful applicant.

Hmmmmmm . . . cheesy, I wouldn't do it. But I was interested in knowing her reaction This was a book that I had not started yet but I read on. Catherine Black's advice was that this was not the way to get a busy executive's attention and that appropriate communication is always better.

In following other's answers to this meme I am a little underwhelmed by my selections. I enjoy these books but other's had some really profound and interesting selections. But reading is all about enjoyment. And I have enjoyed reading other's selections.

I am passing this on to 4 people rather than 5 just because I am new to the blogging world and have not developed as many blog contacts. So I am tagging:

Andie

Chip

Wanda

Carrie J


Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

3 comments:

calimountainmama said...

Mmmmkay....so....do I do it here, or on my blog? Funfun!

Ruth D~ said...

Good thing we all read, huh?

Tere said...

Andie - on your blog.