Sunday, February 3, 2008

What's A Utata?

Utata - what is it? Utata is a photography group that really keeps you challenged. It is made up of photographers and they are quite a creative bunch. And funny too. There are regular challenges and projects as well as educational discussions. They display their member's work on a great website in a professional manner.

My favorites are the projects. There is Thursday Walk - pretty simple - take a walk every Thursday and post a picture of something from your walk. There is The Weekend Project. One weekend it was Bowls, another was Mugshots, and the most recent was Seven Deadly Sins. But my "most favoritist" project is Iron Photographer. The give you 3 elements that must be used. Some recent ones that can be seen here:
  • A hand, applied tape, intense color
  • One or more eggs, a white background, portrait orientation
  • Something metal, something grown on a tree, indirect light
  • A t-shirt, the oldest pair of footwear you own, soft image
This week's Iron Photographer criteria - an umbrella, shot indoors, cinematic ratio. At first, I wasn't too sure that I could do something creative and interesting with that. But I love the creativity of this group and it inspires me. My comfort level is kind of limited to candid, unposed shots. Or things in their natural state. Very rarely do I plan out a shot. But you have to do that with Iron Photographer. So the picture you see is my submission. I love it. And I had so much fun, changing the background to go with the different umbrellas, changing hats, setting up the lighting. I did a red background, black and white umbrella, with the black hat. Then I did this pink one. Then I did an orange, yellow, and red striped background with a red umbrella and the black hat. The pink was my favorite.

I am learning. I am having fun. I love the interaction of all the creative people. They are all so much better than I am and I love it. It pushes me to be better at something I love.

Now, if I could just find a less expensive passion.

1 comments:

calimountainmama said...

Daaaaaamn! Look at those BLUE eyes!