Sunday, February 24, 2008

Wedding Adventure

I am not a professional photographer. I am not even a really talented amateur. I love photography and I am learning.

I was asked by a friend to photograph her brother's wedding coming up in July. The photographer they hired took the engagement photos and then they never heard from him again. So they needed new engagement photos too.

I explained that I had never done a wedding. I didn't want to do weddings. They are a huge responsibility with no do-overs. But they begged. So I agreed. Casey and I did the engagement photos and they were very happy with them. We will be doing the wedding in July. I am nervous.

About a month ago, my son's friend called him and asked if I might photograph the wedding of friends of his. Zack gave him my number to pass on. The wedding was only a few weeks away and I didn't really think they would call. Kym called about a week later. I explained my lack of experience, my aversion to photographing weddings, but agreed to help her out. Our conversation was so easy and it felt like we had known each other for a while. I was willing to try.

So I recruited my kids. Both are very talented photographers but in different ways. My son uses different angles and perspectives and is very creative. My daughter has a knack for getting "the shot" and is great with composition and setting up poses. My thought was that between the three of us, we would get some good shots. And I knew I couldn't do it alone.

Kym and Patrick's wedding was yesterday. We came up with a plan to ensure everyone's talents were being used in the best way possible. And I have to say, we got some really good shots. But it truly took all three of us. And it was a very long day. We took 984 photos in 5 hours. A very long day. We all agreed that this would NOT be our preferred way to make a living.

And Kym was a beautiful bride. We had never met before yesterday when she got out of the limo but we clicked. I would hang out with her. She is my kind of people.

The photo for today is one of my favorites from the day. Just as Patrick and Kym walked back up the aisle after the ceremony and exited the doors of the sanctuary, she burst into tears. Patrick was comforting her. It was very touching. A few moments later, I noticed he kept touching her back and arm. This was one of those moments.

So we will do this one more time. In July for Travis and Gina. One last time.

3 comments:

Wanda said...

A fabulous photo......they must love it!

Tere said...

Thanks Wanda, I hope they like it.

Ruth D~ said...

What a unique wedding photo, beautiful You may create a whole new niche for yourself. Kind of exciting, isn't it?