Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ode To Tea

I don't drink a lot of tea. I am a coffee lover. I have a hard time passing a Starbucks without stopping. But there is something about tea.

Hot tea is comforting. It's pretty. You drink it in a pretty teacup and prepare it in a pretty teapot. I love ritual. I love pretty things.

Coffee seems laid back and informal. "Come on over for a cup of coffee" is a neighborly statement. "Do you want to get a cup of coffee?" is an invitation for a get-to-know-you date or could be just friends hanging out. No big deal. Just coffee.

Tea is more formal. More serious. High Tea. But you also want hot tea when you don't feel well. When you need comfort. Some people want it because they just want to be different from all the millions of espresso fueled Starbucks groupies.

Last Sunday was a rainy day. It was that gray, quiet, constant drizzle that falls all day. My sunroom has 10 windows but I turned the lights on in the middle of the day. I was chilling, watching old movies and doing laundry. It was the perfect day for tea.

I boiled the water for a pot of Constant Comment, an orange and spice tea I have always loved. I took my dainty little teacup and saucer out and retrieved my stoneware teapot. They don't match but they are both so pretty. After preparing the tea, I brought the pot and cup into the sunroom, piled up into my chair and a half, and proceeded to sip the afternoon away.

Rainy afternoon, old black and white movies, Constant Comment tea.

It was perfect.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

I'm with you on this one...I love coffee and I frequent...Starbucks, but there is something about TEA!!

Love your picture of the teapot and cup.

All my tea things are packed away awaiting our move....!!

Tere said...

Wanda - I hope your move goes well.