Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Drive Home

Much of my time spent at my job is spent in a car. I travel Middle and East Tennessee to Nashville, Chattanooga, Johnson City and Kingsport as well as my hometown of Knoxville.

Some days are boring and I hate being in the car. I have my faithful Ipod with me and XM radio so I can usually keep myself entertained. And there are frequent phone calls as much of my job is also done over the phone.

And then there are days like today. I was returning from a visit in Kingsport and Johnson City. For those that are not familiar with East Tennessee geography, the drive from Knoxville to the east and back is along the edge of the Smoky Mountains, skirting the Appalachians. While you don't see the most spectacular mountains and valleys, the scenery is rural, with rolling hills. If you have to be on an interstate, it's a pretty nice one on which to be.

This was my view on the way home. The clouds were large, white, and puffy as the sun began to set. Frequently, they blocked the sun - a welcome relief as I was moving due west, straight into the setting sun. The sky was bright blue with pink spots of reflection. As I came over a hill, the sun sent rays through the clouds like something out of a bible photo.

I grabbed my camera and tried maintain my interstate speed while not running anyone else off the road. I took several photos. Then I put down my camera and just enjoyed the view.

3 comments:

Carrie J said...

I just wanted to say Hi. I found your page through Flickr. I'm another KTown blogger. I also take lots of pictures, I wouldn't call myself a photographer. Anyway, I like your blog.

Tere said...

Thanks Carrie j. I will have to check out your blog.

Wanda said...

This is FANTASTIC....I think that is what my little Aunt Cassie saw as she took flight to heaven last Monday!...

Great shot from the car...good job!