Friday, January 25, 2008

Alligator Alley

Keller Williams has a song called "Alligator Alley" that perfectly describes how I have felt over the last year at work. Here is a portion of it:

As I'm doing the backstroke
down Alligator Alley

flipping to freestyle

try to pick up some speed

ain't no time for breaststroke

got to get my ass to the other side

swimming like a speed boat

so I don't die

swim for your life

Last year was not one of my best. I let personal issues and job related issues get in my way. As a manager, I lost my "style" and tried to manage the way people told me I should. In the fall, someone, a very dear friend, was brave enough to give me a good "talking to". I woke up and started taking control. My district finished the year strong and with a new outlook. We exceeded our budget and the people that work for me are all thankful to have "me" back.

So the presentation I worked on all last week was not just about presenting my review of last year and my plan for this year. It was about proving that I was again worthy. About thanking them for allowing me to show them that, once again, I am good at what I do. It may have been a business meeting to them but to me, it was closing the door on a growth experience.

And I rocked. In the middle of my presentation, our division vice president stopped me and said, "I am so glad to see that the Tere I know is back. I don't know who that was last year but I see she is gone. I am really glad you are back with us."

I am glad that other Tere is gone. I am sure everyone else in my life is too. It felt good to hear it.

And look at that picture I took right before I left the hotel room. I looked hot! It's amazing how your inner confidence can come through and make a new suit look even better.

No more Alligator Alley for me!



2 comments:

calimountainmama said...

You are such an awesome woman! And yes, you look pretty fly in that suit...

Ruth D~ said...

We think we're grown up when we turn 21. and then we grow up every year from then. Good for you. I'd love to know more about why you changed your style for someone else's prescriptive.