Friday, December 7, 2007

My Bento, So There!

I was on Flickr the other day and saw this really cool picture of someone's lunch in a bento box. Well now I know all about bentos and the possibility that exists. I was inspired by a mom who creates these really creative lunches for her young girls. See them here. So I went a little crazy yesterday. I bought a bunch of cute containers and supplies. I went to the grocery store and stocked up on fun food. And I came up with a plan - I made a deal with Casey.

The deal with Casey is that if she will attend school every day, no laziness, and try her best, I will get up every day and make her lunch. This may not seem like much but she leaves the house at 6:30am and I am not a morning person. And neither is Casey. She HATES to get up in the morning. And she drags around, always managing to be running just a little late. She rarely has time to grab anything for breakfast, let alone make her lunch. I give her $20 for lunch money at the beginning of every week but the car needs gas, she wanted to buy breakfast, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So this morning, I was going to surprise her. I decided on a heart theme. I cut her ham and cheese sandwich into a heart with a large cookie cutter. I used a small bright green silicone baking dish and added grape tomatoes and sliced carrots. I used red and pink heart baking cups made of silicone and I filled one with ranch dressing to dip the veggies. In another heart cup, I put pineapple and sprinkled it with red and pink candy confetti hearts and stuck in a bright green skewer to eat with. Another, I filled with cheese cut into hearts with a tiny cookie cutter. In another heart, I added little cookies. All of these were wrapped with plastic wrap and placed into a large plastic container. In between everything, I scattered chips. Wow! It was beautiful, fun, and it looked really appetizing.

Then Casey came downstairs. She looked at it and smiled. I was proud of myself!!! Then she said "How am I going to carry that?" "I will have to throw it into my purse and it will get messed up." "Where am I going to put it?" "Can't I just take it all out and put it in ziploc bags?" And that is what she did.


I was kinda crushed. Not unusual for a mom, right? So I did the next best thing. I made my own cutsie bento. I think I might do this every day. Just for me. Me and my bento.

1 comments:

calimountainmama said...

Where do you find all this time?