Friday, December 14, 2007

10 Pearls of Wisdom For My Kids

I was thinking the other day (hmmmm, imagine that!) and as I was discussing things with myself, I realized that while I have always tried to make experiences with my children teaching experiences, I have not always shared my hard won wisdom with them. I don't mean "Momisms" like "If all your friends jumped off the bridge, would you?" or "Wear clean underwear". I mean the things that are truly important to be a successful human being. Things that I have learned the hard way and the easy way. Things my parents and others taught me. Things I learned on the way to becoming a grown up. So I thought I would share 10 things here in the hopes that, in case I forget to tell them, they can look here.

1. Live by the Golden Rule - treat others the way you want to be treated. I am not just advising it because it sounds kinda wise, I really do this, every day of my life. With people that work for me, in a restaurant with a frustrated server, in dealing with the cable company, with my family. It doesn't always work but 9 out of 10 times, it does. In almost every situation, I stop and ask myself "How would I want someone to say this to me?" or "How would I feel if someone did that to me?" It causes you to stop and check yourself before you do or say something you might regret. And I believe that if more people would practice it, the world would be a much nicer place to live.

2. When you don't practice the Golden Rule, say you're sorry. And truly mean it. If you don't mean it, don't say it. But when you mean it, the gesture goes a long way to reconciling the situation.

3. The glass really is half full. Get rid of negative thinking. If you think you are going to have a bad day, you will. Whatever you believe is what you will get. So keep it positive. This is a really hard thing to do at times. Keep trying.

4. If you are going to do it, do it right. Don't waste your time and everyone else's by doing a half-*** job. Give 100%. Finish what you start. Do it right. Or don't do it at all.

5. Be aware of your limitations. No matter how much I fancy that I can paint or wallpaper, I just really am no good at it. I accept that. I hate it, but I accept it. This is not the same as saying "I can't" and never trying. I've tried several times and many other people have told me I am no good at it. So now, I accept the fact that if I need something painted or wallpapered, I find someone else to do it and pay them. It's not a character flaw. I really think it might be some missing gene or something. Just accept it.

6. Listen. What you have to say is important but what you can learn from watching and listening is much more so.

7. Learn to like things about yourself and work at changing the things you don't like about yourself. No one really likes themselves when they are young because they don't REALLY know themselves. You have to learn about YOU and figure out what you like about yourself. Work on those things. And some people never change the things they don't like about themselves and they end up miserable, curmudgeonly, lonely old people. Don't be one of those.

8. Do something you love. You can do it for work or for a hobby. It's great if you can do it for a career and you will never have to "work". In your life, you always need something you are passionate about. Sometimes that changes and that's okay too.

9. Always be learning. Learn about your passion, learn about yourself, learn about painting, learn about bowling, learn about earthworms, just keep learning. "Interested" people are "Interesting" people. Always be curious. It keeps your brain working and strong.

10. I will always be here for you. No matter how old you are, no matter where you live, no matter what you did or didn't do, I will always be your Mom. I will always love you. I will always help you - maybe not the way you want me to help but I will always try to do what's best for you. Because I love you.

1 comments:

Ruth D~ said...

Yes! Such wisdom, love, and truth to pass on. Great photo of nice looking, and better still, happy kids.