Friday, November 16, 2007

The Weekend To Come

I'm tired. I am hoping this is what my weekend looks like - snuggling up, a pile of magazines, mindless TV. Maybe some laundry or a drive to photograph the brilliant fall colors. It has been a long few weeks. And next week is Thanksgiving. I should be getting ready. My sister and her family are coming for Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday. My dad is not. Doesn't want to travel on the busiest travel day of the year, ya know. So I should be preparing, cleaning, cooking. But right now I don't plan on doing it this weekend.

I love all my siblings. They really are some pretty cool people. We are all very, very different. We have diverse beliefs. And we all have opinions on everything. So it is rarely quiet when we are together. My brother and youngest sister live on the "left coast" and will not be traveling for the holiday. My sister Mickey and her family always travel. I know she would love to spend a holiday in her own home. But her husband's large, close knit family lives in Kentucky, about 1 and 1/2 hours from me. My sister lives in Louisiana. She ALWAYS has to travel. Since Mom died, we have managed to have family holidays at my house. It is convenient to her husband's family and it is close enough for Dad to drive here. So it works out for all of us.

But of all my siblings, my sister is probably the most different from me. In a good way. She is the most giving, selfless, religious, patient person I have ever met. She has a strong Christian faith, I am still wandering on my spiritual path. Her house is as neat as a pin, mine is full of dogs and chaos. She writes everything down in a planner, I use my Outlook calendar on my Blackberry. She is thin and gorgeous, I am not. She is a peacemaker, I am an instigator. But we are still very close.

However . . . normally I am fairly organized and my house is relatively clean. But if there is a flaw lurking out there, Mickey will find it. Not intentionally, she doesn't go looking for it. It is drawn to her like a magnet. For example, this summer I did about 72 loads of clothes right before they arrived. Towels were hurriedly folded and put away. A few days later, Mickey took a shower and washed her hair. Of all the towels for her to get, she used one that was not completely dry before I put it away and it had set there for a few days. We all know what that's like, right? Mildew smell does not go away from your hair after you dry it with a mildewy towel. She was so nice about it but I felt so bad. But something happens every time.

So I am sure I should not spend the weekend with mindless TV and magazines. I should be looking for the problems I know are lurking and correcting them. I will take off work next week and do it then. Until then, it's me time.

0 comments: