Monday, October 29, 2007

Holidays Are Not Part of My Practical Life















I am not anti-Halloween. Or any holiday for that matter. Actually, I love holidays. But I am getting more practical as I get older. And holidays are NOT practical.

Let's stay with Halloween. Such a creative holiday - costumes, spooky decorations, trick-or-treating, and pumpkins! Who doesn't love pumpkins with faces? I used to love to participate in all of that and in fact, I was quite comfortable overdoing it all, showing off .

My kids costumes were almost always homemade. Okay, I admit, it was mostly because I couldn't afford to buy them rather than because of any altruistic, Martha Stewart reason. But it was fun to make them and it was a learning experience for the kids.

The 3rd year we were married, before we ever had kids, we made this elaborate "haunted doorstep" type of thing in front of our house and my husband and brother-in-law dressed up in masks. We had dry ice in a huge cauldron (every redneck family has a big iron pot) and I dressed up as a witch to give out the candy. I can cackle just like the Wicked Witch of the West coming after Toto so I make a pretty cool witch. The whole thing was a hit.

When we moved to Knoxville, we loved to decorate the yard. Multiple jack-o-lanterns, ghosts holding hands dancing around the tree, orange lights around the windows. But we live on a dead end street and don't really get a lot of trick-or-treaters.

And now, my kids are almost all grown. They make or buy their own costumes and they attend parties rather than trick or treating. Putting up and taking down the decorations has become too much work. The last few years, I have not even bought candy, just turned the lights off in the front of the house and sat in the sunroom watching TV. Humbug!

I used to walk the kids past "those" houses and wonder about the people living there. Now I realize they were probably just old. Or just practical. Yeah, that's it. I am practical.

0 comments: