Friday, October 19, 2007

According to Statistics

I was listening to the radio this morning and according to the statistics my children should be dropouts, drug addicts, in jail, or teen parents. Let's review . . . children without a father in the home are more likely to be involved in crime, addiction, or sexual promiscuity. They are more likely to be involved in multiple relationships and have commitment issues. You know, all the "single mom" issues.

My son had his dad until he was 15, my daughter until she was 11. Their dad didn't leave, he died. It was devastating to us all. And according to statistics, children who lose a parent to death are more likely to be involved in "acting out" or any of the aforementioned statistics.

Now, I am not here to say that we have not had problems. They are/were teenagers, afterall. And I am sure we will have problems in the future. But I have some damn good kids. They are not scholars but they are very smart - both book smart and people smart. They are compassionate and empathetic to other's situations. They are open-minded and tolerant of others. They are impatient with those that do not want to help themselves and who make excuses for their plights. They have active lives and friendships. They do not do drugs. They have both had long term relationships. They both work and are dedicated to their jobs. They have "bills" and for the most part, do a good job of managing them, even when they struggle with them. They are committed to our family and we have a pretty close relationship. Depending on what day of the week it is, we like each other.

Would having their Dad through the last 6 years have made a difference? We will never know, will we? But I am proud of my kids. I am truly proud they are not a statistic.

2 comments:

calimountainmama said...

You have AWESOME kids!!!!!

Sandee said...

Amen! Something to be proud about and thankful for! From another single mother fully planning to beat te statistics.